10 office ergonomics tips
Sitting all day at work can have a negative impact on your body. It’s important to create an ergonomic work environment to…
Sitting all day at work can have a negative impact on your body. It’s important to create an ergonomic work environment to reduce the chances of strain injuries and discomfort. Ergonomics is about designing a workplace to create an efficient and comfortable work station. Each person is different and will need a separate work design that fits them to avoid discomfort and fatigue. As an employer, it’s worth investing money into ergonomics to help your employees achieve maximum productivity throughout the week. Here are ten office ergonomics tips to reduce discomfort and boost productivity.
- Ensure that your computer monitors are at least an arm’s length away to avoid eye strain.
- Rest your eyes periodically by looking into the distance for several seconds.
- Get up and regularly move throughout the work day – converse with colleagues in person rather than phoning them, walk to the printer, or have standing meetings.
- Push your keyboard back so that your forearms are supported by the desk when you are typing.
- Make sure that your feet are flat on the ground when seated, about level with your hips. If your feet are not resting comfortably, lower the desk if possible or use a footrest.
- Make sure that everything you need is within arm’s reach – if you can’t reach it, get up.
- Place your monitors directly in front of you, with the top of the screens around eye level. This way you are only looking down slightly when working.
- Keep your keyboard and mouse close enough that you aren’t reaching and putting unnecessary strains on your shoulders and arms.
- Adjust the brightness of your monitors to a comfortable level.
- Position your phone so that you can still perform tasks such as taking notes or using your computer without twisting or cradling the phone between your ear and shoulder. If you are using your phone frequently, it’s best to use a headset.
By implementing the above office ergonomics tips and adjusting your work station, you will find yourself more comfortable and alert at work each day when performing repetitive tasks.Back to all blog posts